What's new
???

Coloured text guide

Guide to coloured text in Minecraft

This guide will teach you how to use the standard Minecraft colour codes, formatting codes (bold, underline, strikethrough, italics) and hex colour codes. Use of colours is a perk earned at the following donor ranks:

Donor Rank​
Perk​
[Hydro]​
colours on signs​
[Scorched]​
colours in chat​
[Vortex]​
colours in nickname​
[Seismic]
permanent chat colour (/color)​
[Tsunami]
hex colours​

The sections are divided between the spoilers below to prevent the post from becoming long and messy. Click each one to view the relevant part.

The first section of this guide will cover the use of standard colours in-game. When you have the required donor rank, type the & sign followed by a "colour code". This will turn all text in-front of that sign to the desired colour. To swap to another colour, you simply type & with a different code. The standard colours in Minecraft are as follows:

Colour​
Code​
Black
Dark Blue
Dark Green
Dark Aqua
Dark Red
Dark Purple
Gold
Grey
Dark Grey
Blue
Green
a
Aqua
b
Red
c
Light Purple
d
Yellow
e
White
f

For example, if I wanted my name to be the colour Dark Aqua, I would type /nick &3Haemorrhoid. However, if I wanted my name to alternate between Dark Aqua and Aqua, I would have to type
Code:
/nick &3H&ba&3e&bm&3o&br&3r&bh&3o&bi&3d
The process is the same for using colours in chat, and on signs.

To create formatted text, there are a few more codes to learn. They are as follows:

Format​
Code​
Bold
l (lowercase L, not uppercase i)​
Italic
o​
Underline
n​
Strikethrough
m​
Reset​
r​

You can use any of these together with each other, and with colour codes. However, you must put formatting codes AFTER the colour code, else it won't work. For example, if I type &c&lHaemorrhoid it'll show Haemorrhoid, but if I type &l&cHaemorrhoid it'll show Haemorrhoid, completely ignoring the formatting code I had used. This is the same if you want to use alternating colours; each time you change the colour code, you'll have to add the format code after it.

For example, the following code will yield Haemorrhoid, since I used the &l code after every colour:
Code:
&3&lH&b&la&3&le&b&lm&3&lo&b&lr&3&lr&b&lh&3&lo&b&li&3&ld

The "reset" code &r resets the text ahead of it to be the standard non-bold white. It might seem pointless, so don't worry about it. There's also the magic code &k which you likely do not have access to (it's a real eye-sore).

Once you reach [Tsunami], you can start using hex codes. These are colour codes of the form #rrggbb, where each entry can be any value 0-9 or a-f. This gives 256^3 different colours (16,777,216). These allow you to use any colour, not just the standard 16 Minecraft colours. As before, formatting codes must always come after the colour code. To use hex codes, type &#rrggbb (replacing #rrggbb with your desired colour). Make sure you include both the & symbol and the # symbol. You can use Color-hex (← click) to find colours you like, clicking the box next to the search bar for grid-like interface and slider.

Let's say you have an image with the exact colour you're looking for. There are many tools on the internet to get the colour you're looking for, but here is what I personally use.

1. Download paint.NET from here.
2. Open up the image you want to use.​
3. Look for the colour-drop tool in the side-bar and select it.​
4. Click on the part of the image with the desired colour.​
5. Click "More > >" on the box that pops up.​
6. Copy the hex code that appears.​

colour example.PNG

Then from the example image above, I'd write &#F09A99 to get this colour. Note that this is not the only way to find colours from images; there's plenty of other tools on the internet. I just like this one because it's good for graphics stuff and is free!

Now let's say you have a long name and you want a nice clean colour gradient. Trying to find the right colours manually would take forever, so I use this tool.

1. Type the message you want to colour (i.e. your name).
2. Choose the number of colours you want in the gradient (or one of the many pre-sets available).​
3. Click the small colour boxes to choose your colours.​
4. Select "Minecraft 1.16" in the Output Code box.​
5. Click "Generate Color Faded Text".​

example2.png

This will give you an output code that seems to be wrong. That is because it is, and we have some more work to do. From the example above, it generated:
Code:
{#c33737}H{#b13e49}a{#a0445b}e{#8e4b6c}m{#7d517e}o{#6b5890}r{#595ea2}r{#4865b4}h{#366bc5}o{#2572d7}i{#1378e9}d
We want to replace the { with &, and the } with; (i) nothing, yielding the text with the colour and no other formatting or (ii) &l yielding bold text with the colour. This is a little tedious to do manually, but we can use notepad (which comes with all windows installation. If you're on another operating system, haha lol you'll have to find an alternative).

1. Open notepad.
2. Copy-paste the code from the gradient generator.​
3. Click Edit > Replace (CTRL+H).​
4. Put { in the "Find what" box, and & in the "Replace with" box.​
5. Click Replace All​
6. Put } in the "Find what" box, and (i) nothing (for non-bold) or (ii) &l (for bold) in the "Replace with" box.​
7. Click Replace All​

example4.png
example5.png
example6.png

This will give you your coloured text in the format you require, and you can copy paste this into Minecraft. From the example I've used, this gave me Haemorrhoid
Code:
&#c33737&lH&#b13e49&la&#a0445b&le&#8e4b6c&lm&#7d517e&lo&#6b5890&lr&#595ea2&lr&#4865b4&lh&#366bc5&lo&#2572d7&li&#1378e9&ld

An alternative way to generate colour gradients involves taking an image you like, going to adobe's gradient generator, and copying the required hex codes from there. The process is fairly simple so I won't give a guide, but here is a screenshot of how I got my frosty name. This effect is often subtle but can produce some lovely non-standard gradients.

example7.png

hahapoopy.PNG

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to respond below or drop me a message here or on discord.​

Thanks for reading, have fun!

Last edited:
CalamityMC 2020 © All rights reserved. We are not affiliated with Mojang AB.